Sunday, April 22, 2012

11. St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised By Wolves

By Karen Russell (246pp.)

I've had this book 30 minutes away from being finished for almost a week and just couldn't get to it until this morning. This is a collection of short stories, all with a speculative element. I feel like I should do a discussion talking about speculative fiction vs. literary speculative fiction but I've had the world's longest week and I did epic amounts of yard work and I'm pretty sure my arms are about to fall off.

I loved the writing in these stories. While I was reading the first couple I was a little lukewarm on the stories themselves but eventually the author won me over. I think my favorites were the one with the turtles and the one with the old folks home at the marina. The avalanche singers one is a nice hair-raiser. Recommend.

No comments: