Monday, March 23, 2020

11. Audiobooks

I can't remember what I decided about listing audiobooks here. I just started listening to audiobooks the last couple of years. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy being read to.

A friend recommended a bunch of celebrity memoirs so since the beginning of the year I have listened to:

Trevor Noah, Born a Crime -- this is a fantastic book. I kept getting recommendations but I'm not that familiar with Noah and didn't think I was interested. I was extremely wrong. He's a great story teller and funny but also, wow, what a life. He grew up in South Africa under apartheid and as the country was changing. I learned a lot. Very highly recommend.

David Spade, Almost Interesting.  Spade had a tough journey to success. His story is also more interesting than I would have guessed. Loved all the behind the scenes at Saturday Night Live stuff.

Illeana Douglas, I Blame Dennis Hopper. Lots of amazing Hollywood stories. The things these people go through before they are successful -- broke ass, odd jobs, auditions. Loved the behind the scenes of making the movie: Alive.

Rob Lowe, Stories I Tell My Friends. Another amazing career with so many stories. I especially loved the story about making Outsiders. I'm ready for a rewatch of St. Elmo's Fire. I thought I owned it but couldn't find it in the DVD closet. I wonder how it holds up. I have never watched The West Wing -- might have to check out a couple of episodes.

No comments: