Tuesday, October 21, 2008

32. The Lightning Thief (375 pp.) by Rick Riordan (Oct 20). I've heard good things about this book and had it on my list for a long time. I bought a copy during one of my big book buying binges at the UW bookstore during Clarion West. I know I'm not the target audience for this but there are many books for which I am not the target audience that I love. I did not like this book.

It's about a kid who discovers that one of his parents was a Mount Olympus god and he goes to a summer camp for other halflings or godlets or whatever their called. Then he discovers he has a power. Then he has to go on a quest. There were a few fun moments. But mostly it felt like a book where instead of a story someone was trying to think of a bunch of things that could happen. At times it felt like a huge smug inside joke for someone who sleeps with Bullfinch's on the nightstand.

I wanted to like it and it sells well. It's probably perfect for a 12 year old boy who loves to read.

No comments: