Friday, December 12, 2008

35. Touch (300 pp.) by Elmore Leonard (Dec 12). Finally, I read a book. My book reading has been so pitiful lately. I brought this on the plane to Idaho 2/3d's finished and was afraid I'd finish it before the flight ended so I took my time and then had 12 pages left that had to wait until I had time to finish it the next morning. I would love to think that I'm going to cram some book reading in before the end of the year but my magazine pile has taken over my nightstand. The drawers groan with the weight of all that stuff so I'm going to try to clear all that stuff out first.

But on to Elmore. I usually love Elmore Leonard and I had a very hard time with this one. It may be because I read it while I was doing NaNoWriMo and writing 1667 words a day. Then as I got into bed, braindead and eye-fatigued, I'd read a single chapter before turning off the light and going to sleep. You can't really get into a book that way. And I never really got into it.

He wrote an intro that when he originally wrote it, the publisher bought it but then never could figure out what to do with it and he eventually bought it back and sold it elsewhere. It's not like a usual Elmore book. It's about a regular guy who can heal people and exhibits the stigmata and various people want to exploit this. I had a hard time with the characters bad and good.

No comments: