Wednesday, July 7, 2010

15. Scar Night

by Alan Campbell (549pp)

This poor book. I started it before our trip in March thinking it would be something I could whip through before we left. But I only got through about 200 pp and didn't want to take a partly read book on a trip. So I waited until we got home except then I had to finish book #9 and when I finished that I had short stories piled up. By then the book had been shoved back in the reading stack and we know what that means.

By the time I got it back out I had to skim the first 200 pages to remember where I was.

I liked this book a lot but I wanted to love it. It's a dark fantasy set in this crazy city that's suspended over a giant pit with a huge network of chains. I can't believe anyone survives childhood. There are angels, crooked religious leaders, a poisoner, assassins and other weird stuff that would be spoilery to elaborate on. It took me a while to get into which may be due to the way I read it. I would recommend to fantasy fans.

No comments: