Friday, November 26, 2010

31. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

by Stieg Larsson (644 pp.)

This is my 7th book this year with 600 or more pages. I'm on fire. I'm going through my "to read" pile and pulling out all the fatties.

When we were in Europe in March I saw stacks of these Stieg Larsson books everywhere. I'd never heard of them and thought about buying all three. They were so popular. They must be good. But I didn't have room to carry three more books with me.

I bought this one when I got home and I have to say I'm mystified by the rabid popularity. It's a nice enough page-turning thriller. But nothing exceptional. I thought the pace was sludgy and there was some structural weirdness including a mindbendingly dull email exchange section near the end that ground the book to a halt. I'm not going to run out and read the other two, but if someone leaves them in a beach cabin where I happen to be staying (should I be so lucky) I'd read them then.

No comments: