Sunday, July 22, 2012

21. Blue Nights

By Joan Didion (188 pages)

What was I thinking? I just read post-apocalyptic cotton candy and thought: I should read something a little more challenging. Where's that new Joan Didion?

It's about her daughter who died at 39. The daughter's illness started the same year that Didion's husband died. Here's a woman in her late 70's reflecting on death and aging. 

I started it last night before I went to bed. Then I had insomnia and stared into the dark, trembling with anxiety and sadness. 

So, it's good? It's a slight book, more like a long magazine article between hardcovers. Kinda cheeky to charge $25 for that but it's Joan Didion. I still need to read her earlier stuff. I keep meaning to go dig around in the basement and see what we have.

No comments: