Saturday, September 21, 2013

28. Cinder

By Marissa Meyer (298 pp ebook)

A couple of months ago I downloaded a bunch of samples of popular YA books into my nook. I was looking for something fun to read but it turned out to be a good exercise in seeing how the beginning of a book grabs you or not. This was one of the two titles that grabbed me.

It's a futuristic re-telling of Cinderella. In the first few pages we meet Cinder, who in this version has cyborg parts and is a talented mechanic. She's working at a big outdoor market when she meets the prince. Sounded like fun.

The book, I'm afraid, is not very good. While the story does take some interesting turns, the execution of both the future world, and the prose style, were weak and cliched.

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

Are you on Goodreads??