Friday, May 23, 2014

18. Yellow Medicine Review (Spring 2014)

Carter Meland ed.,  (210 pp)

This is an indigenous literary journal that I am appearing in for the second time. It should be available at  their website and at Amazon shortly. This is a collection of poems, stories and prose pieces and a lot of them are terrific. My favorites were Benjamin Burgess's The Kennewick Chronicles: 101 Ways to Explain Kennewick Man's Pelvic Projectile Wound (hilarious, if not obvious by the title), Hans Carlson's Strangers Still, and the Land Nearly Devoured (about land stewardship and the Cree), and Carol Miller's Twilight exile: Elders, Aging, and an American Indian Family (about dealing with her aging parents.) My story is called, Reservation Jobs and I will post it on my website eventually.  I wish it were easier to find YMR out in the world because lots of interesting contemporary Indian stories that I bet would find an audience.

No comments: