Sunday, July 19, 2015

20. Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?

By Roz Chast ((228 pp)

Last year there was a piece in the New Yorker by Roz Chast about dealing with, uh, "end of life" talk with her parents. Link: http://projects.newyorker.com/story/chast-parents

It's funny and sad and heart-breaking and relatable. When her memoir came out I wanted to read it. It'a also funny and sad and heart-breaking. And really, really tough. It's like a horror story about aging. I remember once my Aunt looked at me and said, "You aren't old enough to be scared."

I am now. "Quick and painless" is my mantra.

I recommend for its honesty but it's a tough read. And she did have a tough relationship with her parents that contributed to the difficulty - so comfort yourself with that.

No comments: