Saturday, October 2, 2010

25. The Magicians

by Lev Grossman (402 pp)

So I still haven't finished Super Sad True Love Story. That's no reflection on the book. I'm enjoying it. It's just timing. I had to spend a bunch of time on planes and in airports this week and I wanted something that was easier to carry and not half finished.

This is going to sound like an iffy recommendation but it's not. I really liked this book. However, the entire time I was reading it I felt like I was on the verge of falling wildly in love with it. It was going to be another book that I buy more copies of and shove in people's faces and demand that they read right away. It kept falling short of that. It's about a mopey guy from every day reality that gets chosen to go Magician school. All sorts of things happen, many of them grim. Can't say more or risk spoilers. Recommend.

1 comment:

Keetha said...

I've been wanting to read this. I heard an interview with the author and though I can't remember anything about it now, I remember it only affirming that I should read this book.