Sunday, October 17, 2010

27. The Windup Girl

by Paolo Bacigalupi (300pp)

I read this book while I was in Orleans last week. It's a future story set in Thailand and there isn't much energy and the food supply is all farked up and everything is unstable. There are bad guys and super bad guys and a lot of stuff going on. Overall I recommend although I did have a problem with it which has nothing to do with the writing and everything to do with me as a reader. This book is set in an altered universe and has its own vocabulary plus a bunch of character threads and political/social background. I have a hard time holding it all in my head. If I can read quickly (meaning not on the bus or a little bit before I go to bed each night) I can usually keep up and that was the case with this one.

No comments: