Sunday, August 17, 2014

25. Green Grass, Running Water

By Thomas King (431 pp.)

This book came out in 1993 and it's interesting how timeless it felt. Sure, there were VCRs and no cellphones so it's not like you can't tell it was written over 20 years ago, but the issues the Indians were dealing are pretty much unchanged. I can't believe I had never heard of it before. (Thanks Carter).

I wasn't sure if this book was going to work for me because it has a magical realism thread and I can't always get into that. However, this book is hilarious. It concerns some missing elders and a group of contemporary First Nations people in Alberta dealing with life. Unique structure that took me awhile to figure out. Recommend especially for people who like contemporary Indian stories. Also I feel compelled to add that there is a character on p. 281 named Robert Loblaw.

No comments: