Friday, June 3, 2011

17. The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro

By Joe McGinniss (404 pp.)

My love for this book grew exponentially as I read it. Very highly recommended for people who love books about soccer. I don't think anyone else will be so thrilled. It's about a soccer team from a tiny town in Italy that makes its way into Serie B. Non-fiction just in case it isn't clear. The author is an American and he lived in the town for the 1996 soccer season to write this story. My biggest beef, and I understand this is how this type of journalism works, is that the author make himself such a big part of the story. But he's such a big personality, I think this is also what makes the story work. It ends on a sour note which almost ruins the whole experience but I think the author and the team would agree on that.

No comments: