Sunday, June 5, 2011

18. So You Want to Be A Rock & Roll Star

By Jacob Slichter (286 pp.)

When I graduated from college I really wanted to work for a record company or do something in the music business. For numerous reasons it didn't work out, but I'm still interested in how it works.

The book is written by the drummer for Semisonic the band that did the song "Closing Time" which is a great song but was everywhere in 1998. I remember getting to the point where I'd want to jump out the window when that song came on.

This is about them getting started, getting a record deal and trying to get their music on the air. Then getting a monster hit and how it all worked out. Slichter was in his 30's when this happened so he's got a grown-up's perspective. Lots of great inside scoop. The music business is scarily crooked. I'm lucky I didn't end up in it. Good book.

No comments: